Pan-Aadhaar Link: Friday, June 30 is to be the last day of linking the Permanent Account Number (PAN) with Aadhaar, as given by a notice from the Income Tax (IT) Department. However, it charged a Rs 1,000 fee to taxpayers who applied for the link until the deadline day.
The Income Tax Department has advised taxpayers once more not to miss the deadline, advising them to “miss it at your own risk” in a tweet they posted on June 13.
According to authorities, linking PAN to Aadhaar is an essential step in combating tax evasion. “As per Income-tax Act, 1961, it is mandatory for all PAN holders who do not fall under the exempt category to link their PAN with Aadhaar on or before 30.06.2023. Please link your PAN and Aadhaar today,” the IT Department said in the June 13 tweet.
Kind attention PAN holders!
As per Income-tax Act, 1961, it is mandatory for all PAN holders, who do not fall under the exempt category, to link their PAN with Aadhaar on or before 30.06.2023.
— Income Tax India (@IncomeTaxIndia) June 13, 2023
What is PAN?
According to the definition given by the IT Department, Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a ten-digit alphanumeric number issued in the form of a laminated card by the Income Tax Department to any “person” who applies for it or to whom the department allots the number without an application.
PAN enables the department to link all transactions of the “person” with the department. These transactions include tax payments, TDS/TCS credits, returns of income, specified transactions, correspondence, and so on. PAN, thus, acts as an identifier for the “person” with the tax department.
What is Aadhaar?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit individual identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) on behalf of the Government of India. The number serves as proof of identity and address anywhere in India. The Aadhaar letter received via India Post and the e Aadhaar downloaded from the UIDAI website are equally valid.
Why is it important to link PAN with Aadhaar?
According to the IT Department, if you fail to link your PAN with Aadhaar,
- Your PAN will become inoperative
- Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) will be deducted at a higher rate.
- Pending interest, refunds will not be issued.
- Tax Collected at Source (TCS) will be collected at a higher rate.
The IT Department has also issued a warning to PAN card holders about a few possible causes of failure when integrating Aadhaar with their PAN.
While linking Aadhaar to PAN, taxpayers may face problems because of demographic mismatches owing to mismatches in:
- Date of Birth
For seamless connection of PAN and Aadhaar, biometric-based authentication has been offered at specific PAN Service Provider (Protean and UTIITSL) centres. The IT department has also tweeted details of the service provider for the process.
To update their PAN information, individuals can visit the following websites:
They can update their Aadhaar details by visiting the UIDAI website at: https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update
The IT Department said that after resolving the demographic mismatch, users can try linking PAN-Aadhaar at the e-filing portal.
How to Online Link Your PAN Card to Your Aadhaar Card
1. Go to the Income Tax Department of India’s official website, portal. https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal
2. If you haven’t already, register yourself.
3. Your PAN or Aadhaar number will be assigned as your user ID.
4. Log in to the site using your user ID, password, and birth date.
5. A pop-up notification will appear on your screen informing you that your PAN has been linked with Aadhaar.
6. If the notification does not display, navigate to the ‘Quick Links’ section on the homepage’s left side.
7. On the homepage, click the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
8. Enter your PAN number, Aadhaar number, and name as they appear on your Aadhaar card.
9. If applicable, check the “I only have the year of birth in my Aadhaar card” box.
10. To validate, enter the Captcha code that appears on your screen.
11. Once all of the information you entered matches your PAN and Aadhaar data, you will receive a message that your Aadhaar and PAN cards have been successfully linked.
12. Your PAN card and Aadhaar card will be successfully linked.
Catch the latest stock market updates here. For all other news related to business, politics, tech, sports, and auto, visit Zeebiz.com.